Now that the weather is changing and fall is now upon us, it is a great time to perform some simple tasks to get ready for the fall and winter season.
1. Clean out the gutters and check for damage. Remove all debris which can cause blockage of rainwater and can lead to water damage in the home. If you don’t have a ladder to reach the gutters, call a professional to do the job!
2. Clean and replace air filters. This will save you time and money in the future! While you are at it, go ahead and replace other filters in the home, such as water filtration systems and any devices with HEPA filters. Replacing all filters at the same time will help you remember when you changed them all out and improve the life and quality of all the appliances.
3. Change batteries in smoke alarms and CO detectors. It is better to be safe than sorry and no one wants to wake up to those annoying beeps in the middle of the night!
4. Cut back and remove any unstable or dead limbs on trees or bushes. One big storm and that limb could cause a lot of problems for you or your neighbor!
5. Check all windows and doors for proper sealants. Avoid increased energy bills and chilly temperatures in the home by fixing the seals before the cold air arrives.
6. Examine the exterior of the home for loose or rotting wood. Rotting wood can cause water damage or mold growth so it is best to replace it as soon as possible.
7. Check to make sure your house number is visible for emergency services. After a year or two, these numbers can fade, making it difficult for emergency services to find the home when needed.
Doing some of these simple tasks now can help you save time and money in the future! It is always best to try to stay ahead of any potential pitfalls and avoid unnecessary expenses.